Monday, July 7, 2014

Week 40 -- The Enemy that is Perfectionism

Hola!  Yeah, so I hit 9 months this week... I'm so old! But I feel like I have only been here 4 months and the time is going so fast!  But yeah... It was a really good week... Full of lots of self reflection...

1.  How are things going with your companion?  You said she's a hard worker and that she occasionally speaks a little English.  How is her English coming along?  Do you feel like the two of you are becoming friends?
 
She is great!  She is really sweet and she thinks I'm hilarious, lol. And she's very spiritual. I have been teaching her English during our language studies and she really does know a lot of English! And she has been talking more and more but still not a whole lot.  I really think that by the end of her mission, if she keeps speaking, she will be able to pass the English test to get the certification or whatever for Latins that says that they know English.

2.  How was your interview with Pres Dester last week?
 
It was great! It was exactly what I needed, honestly. President is inspired. He even took the time to copy two pages out of books he has for me to read and think about.  He told me that I worry too much and that some of the things that I think are important to God, well, they aren't at all. I shouldn't be so hard on myself because I don't have to be perfect. I should enjoy the ride, so to speak. He helped me to see that really the Lord loves me and that He won't give up on me ever. And I can make mistakes and learn and grow and sometimes fail and that it's okay and that that is part of the earthly experience. But the Savior won't stop working with us. This life is a process, progress is a process and things take time. But I don't have to be perfect. He put the example of a child learning to walk. That's us. We are here learning to walk. He asked, "Do you think that the parent ever yells at the child when they fall?"  I'm sure we all say no. The parent just keeps encouraging the child. "Come on, you can do it. Youre almost there. Get up. Try again."  And sometimes we say, "No, I don't want to" or "It's too hard."  But really God is there saying, "Get up, you can do it. I know what you can do."  And He really knows that one day we will walk and we just have to keep trying and I think that He will always be there to help us get back up when we fall.

3.  What have you learned about yourself recently?
 
I am a perfectionist. I think we all already knew that, right?! But I hadn't realized what that really meant and how I was really impeding myself and my progression. There was a talk in the Liahona of this month that talked about perfectionism...Becoming perfect in Christ.... and wow, it was just for me. I didn't realize the effect that this kind of thinking had on me and my relationship with my Heavenly Father. I think that I have been really unfair to myself. But it's time to change and it's time to be happy so I'm going to try to change.

4.  What did you do for P-Day today?
 
We cleaned. We went and played soccer at the church and volleyball and one of the hermanas made lunch for us and now we are writing. Not too exciting but it was pretty fun and I like being with the zone!

5.  Are the people of Honduras still totally wrapped up in the World Cup?
 
Not really so much now that most if not all of the Central American teams are out. They still watch it, of course, but it's not such a big deal now. And Honduras is out so there's not much to get excited about, hahaha.

6.  How was church yesterday?  Did you have any investigators there?
 
We had 3 investigators. Israel came to church and I think that he is really feeling the Spirit based on things that he says but I don't think he wants to accept the answer because he still doesn't know everything. But we are hoping that he gets baptized this month. He already has all the attendance and is living the commandments and everything but he wants time... we had a good lesson this week with him with a member and the member pretty much jsut asked him a ton of questions like therapy or something, lol, and it actually really helped and we found out what he wants in life and what his past has been and a ton of stuff that I think will be really helpful for us in our lesson plans and just how to teach him and stuff like that. And Iris came to church. She is the sister of one of the recent converts. And we passed by and she was ready for church and she came and stayed and she said that she liked it so... we will see. We challenged her to be baptized on August 2nd so she has a month to prepare.... so we will see.

7.  Did Karla get baptized?  How is Israel doing?  (I thought it was cute that he played some Adele for you!)  How is Delmis doing?  Did she come to church and is she still getting baptized?  How is familia Flores doing?
 
Complications with Karla... the ward went on a temple trip so we are having the baptism THIS Saturday for sure! She's so cute and she's so excited and he spouse got ordained and now he cam baptize her. Delmis... we haven't been able to find her. We are going to have to drop the Flores family as investigators but we will keep visiting so they know that we care.

8.  What miracles and tender mercies have you seen this week?  Answers to your prayers?
 
Getting to meet with President Dester and just that it was perfect. I know that there is a reason that HE is my mission president. Ther is not a doubt in my mind that he is called of God. Andrea (Hna Marcia's sister who lives below us) made cake and we got to help her eat it! Which reminds me, she loves to cook and would like recipes. She teaches English so she can read them in English no problem or I can translate. If you could send the recipes to anything homemade that we make that is like cake or cookies or cupcakes... so black forest cupcakes, rice krispies, pie, whatever.  She would LOVE the recipes. And Hna Marcia made me a 9 months happy birthday cake! They are so sweet!

9.  How has someone else blessed your life this week?  How have YOU blessed someone else's life this week?
 
My companion got sick and so I was able to help her wash her clothes and clean and jsut be there for her. But I always feel like familia Melendez is blessing me.

10.  What was the best thing that happened this week?  
 
Interview with President

11.  What have you been grateful for this week?
 
Cake, President Dester, and a little bit cooler weather.

12.  What was the funnest/funniest thing that happened this week?
 
On Monday we had a Family Home Evening with familia Melendez and we did an activity and everyone put their name on a paper and then we mixed up the papers and passed them around. On the paper we tried to draw the person, but only part at a time. So the first part, their head and then we passed the paper and then we had to draw their torso and then pass, then the arms, pass, their legs, pass. Get the idea?  So the drawings ended up being SUPER LOCO and really funny. So I have my picture saved in my baggy and it's just hilarious! We were all laughing and I couldn't even sing the closing hymn, lol.

13.  What did you do for your district meeting and zone meeting this week?
 
This week one of the elders made garlic bread for our district! And so we had garlic bread and beans and soda and it was really good... but because of that the reunion ended up being a little short but we talked about how we can use effective and inspired questions.

14.  What was the spiritual highlight of your week?
 
Interview with president and all the thinking I did afterwards.

15.  What did you learn from your personal study this week?  Where are you at in the Old Testament?  What else are you studying right now? 
 
I studied what it means to be a father and what kind of love and attitude he has for his children. I am still reading the conference talks and I'm still in Isaiah and I'm still in Mosiah... we really don't get much personal study here. But I did finish all of the major lessons in my lesson plans.

16.  Do you know that I love you SO much and I miss you?
 
Always
 
17.  What has been the most beautiful thing you've seen this week?

My new flip flops on my feet. Well they arent new, but since i brought 2 with me I saved one pair for when I hit the 9 month mark (hahaha) so I got to put those on and they felt sooo good!

18.   Did anything unusual or strange happen this week? 
 
Nope, not really....

19.  What are you looking forward to this week? 
 
We made a funny video this week in our district meeting but with the whole zone and hopefully we will get to see it this week!!!!!

20.  How do you feel you’ve done this week in being a better Consecrated Missionary and “the Fourth Missionary”? And how do you feel you've done at choosing happiness this week? I really don't like this question. Progress takes time and sometimes thats more than a week.

I got a letter from Mom, Grace Clark and Martha and Wandal! Gracias! 

Oh, and if you could send me one more package of makeup wipes... I don't know if you know this but one wipe lasts me four days... but that doesn't mean that you should send me a lot, haha, just one package for now but just to know that I have changed and that I DONT WASTE ANYTHING!
 
Sorry I can't send any pictures this week...they won't upload.  I think my camera got a virus so I'll try again next week.

Oh, the mission... one thing it said in the talk I read is that for perfectionist the mission is probably the hardest thing that they have done up to this point in life.... wellm I testify that that is true. Missions are hard, but they are also great and I know that I am here to change.
 
Love,
Hermana Gisseman

No comments:

Post a Comment