Monday, September 29, 2014

Week 52 - It's Been a Week -- and Almost One Year!

Sorry, no pictures today.  :-(

Hola!
Homecoming looks fun and Brie's dress was really cute. I'm jealous because Brie is way more prettier than I am and I'm happy that she's actually doing things in high school because I never did..well, I did but I never went to social events like that...
1.  How was church yesterday? Did you have any investigators there?  What did you learn in church?
 
We did have investigators there. Three new investigators came to church. I think that one really didn't like it so we shall see if she comes back. 
2.  How are things with S?

She is pilas and will get baptized. She couldn't come to church on Sunday, but she's planning on coming to conference.
3.  How is J doing? 
 
She came to church with her brother and she's so pilas too. Her aunt sent her the link to watch the Joseph Smith restoration video and she watched almost all of it before she ran out of internet and so she understands everything and had some good questions.  It's just really nice when people understand the lessons. She seemed to like church. I think that she could get baptized.
4.  How is Z doing? Why do you think people are willing to read but then not come to church?
 
She didn't come to church again. :-(  I think that it's easier to pick up a book in your house and read a page than to get yourself ready to go to church and go to a new place with new people on Sunday when you have other things to do. Reading you can do on your own time, and church is on someone else's time table. But who knows.... I really just want to see more people progressing.

5.  How is that less active family doing -- the ones you were going over and reading scriptures with?
 
She went to the temple! She made her goal!!!!! So she went on the ward temple trip and spent pretty much 2 days in the temple and she came back and was just glowing and she was soooo excited and so grateful that we took interest in her and her family. So we will be stopping by to see how they are this week, but I really feel like this is what she needed and that she will be the example for her spouse. They went to visit his family this Sunday but went to church out there becasue she couldn't bear not taking the sacrament. So it's nice to see that our work did some good.
6.  What did you do for P-Day today? 
 
An elder in the zone planned P-Day and so we played capture the flag and signs and Peter Peter again and we played Jeopardy and ate pizza.  And they did a three legged race but I just couldn't handle being blindfolded and being stuck to someone when everyone is sweaty (including me!).  Now we are here and we are going to go to the grocery store later.
7.  What miracles and tender mercies have you seen this week?  Answers to your prayers?
 
So we didn't have a noche de hogar (Family Home evening) on Monday and it made me really, really sad so we just had to have normal appointments and it was sooo lame! But when we got home, Hna Marcia invited us to her noche de hogar so we still got to go to one.  :)
8.  How has someone else blessed your life this week? 
 
Well, for our safety Familia M decided to put bars on our house, lol, so it looks like we live in prison now. It's super safe where we live, so they did it just for precautions and in case they sell the apartment in the future so our house is completely protected.
Oh, and we had normal interviews with President Dester. He told me that I'm doing a good job and that I should just finish strong here. I'm most likely going to have changes on the 15th. I just love getting to talk to President Dester!
9.  How have you blessed someone else’s life this week? 
 
I don't know...
 10.  What was the best thing that happened this week? 
 
We had an English class this week and it went really well, I think, for the first one. There was a HUGE difference in between the people in Copan and the people here, lol. In our class in Copan there was like no one who had any of the basics, and here they all have the basics and really just need to practice a lot. But it reminded me how much I love English, lol. and I really do enjoy teaching too.
11.  What was the funniest/funnest thing that happened this week?
 
Nothing really comes to mind
12.  What did you do for your district meeting and zone meeting this week?
 
 
We had a district meeting and Elder Scott taught part 2 of using scriptures from the Bible to help teach lesson 1. I really enjoyed it.
13.  What was the spiritual highlight of your week?

The Women's Conference. We actually got to see it twice. We went to the stake center to watch it because our ward was at the temple but then they played it again on Sunday and so we went again. But it was sooo good. When it started they didn't have our room set up for English and I just felt so far away from home, but then the hermano came and opened up the room for us and put the channel on English so we got to watch it in English and it made me feel so much better. But I really loved that they talked about the temple, even though we can't to go it here during our missions. But I also really like Pres. Uchtdorf's talk and his analogy about blessings. And it's so true that we are the ones who put up umbrellas that prevent us from receiving all the blessings God is pouring upon us. It's interesting that last conference they talked about convenants and this time temples.... I had to laugh when the southern lady came on... Sister Neill something, lol. I just laughed and laughed and it reminded me so much of home. I miss southern people! And another blessing is that we weren't going to have any way to get home after the meeting, but another ward offered us seats on their bus so that was awesome! I also really like the story Sister Stevens (I think) shared about her Mom and the cute pictures of her. I think that the church needs tough people, people who are truly converted and willing to give everything that they have.
14.  What did you learn from your personal study this week? 

I finished the Old Testament!!!! Por fin!!!!! I realized that there are books in it that I really like, but to read the whole things cover to cover... wow...that's an accomplishment. But I read the story of Jonah which I just really really like. It's amazing to me that Jonah was more focused on justice than on the mercy that he was sharing with the people of Ninevah. But I study so much that I really don't remember anything specific when I get here.....
15.  Do you know that I love you and I miss you?
 
Always. 
 
16.  What was the best thing and the worst thing you ate this week?
 
Well, the best thing is the chocolate chip cookies that I got in your big package!!!! They tasted like America! And I loved the whole package and I realized that I love giving things, too, but things that people will actually use. I love seeing my shoes on Marcia's feet, or Andrea wearing the clothes that I gave her to church. It just makes me happy. And they loved the Mio... The worst thing... a candy from a fruit called nance or something like that and it's just icky.
17.  You've sent home a few of your sweaters -- do you think you won't need them this winter?  Remember how cold you got last winter?  Speaking of winter, is it starting to cool off there at all yet?
 
I don't think that I will need them but that's because I was in Copan. But I kept the black sweater and the gray sweater and those go with everything and I still have my North Face jacket if I need it. But everywhere else is hot. It's just as hot as it's been the whole time here.  There are no seasons.
18.  What is the main industry/employer in your area?  How do people there make a living?

The Maquila. People work in factories here. So making clothes and working machines and they work 4 por 4, or 4 days on and 4 days off which is the most random schedule ever. So it's really annoying trying to help people come to church because most people work 4 por 4 and so they can't come to church for a month because of their work schedules. But other than that tons of people have their own little businesses...selling clothes or food from their house, some work in San Pedro... a little bit of everything. But it's interesting here that a business can be out of someone's house and in the States we never see that.
19.  Are there any sister missionary traditions for when you hit your one-year mark?

Nope... only the panza (pregnant) pic when we have 9 months.
20.  What have you done on your mission, or learned on your mission, etc., so far that you are most proud of?  How do you think you have changed as a result of your mission so far?

I think that I have changed even though I still feel like me. President Dester told me that I am changing and that I'm not worrying so much about myself anymore, but more about other people which is good and healthy. But he said that I really am making very good progress. So at least someone sees that I'm changing. But I think that that is true... I think that here especially I love the people more and it makes me think about them and not about myself and I just want to do what's best for them and whatever I can to help them. I think I was a lot more selfish before.
Anyway, it's been a week... 
Love you
Hermana Gisseman

No comments:

Post a Comment