Monday, February 16, 2015

Week 72 -- Who Needs a Lawnmower? We Have Machetes!

1.  How have you been feeling this week?  No more upset stomach/throwing up? 
Nope, I have been fine.
2.  How is Hna S doing?  Have last week’s improvements continued? 

Yeah!  Her Spanish is still a work in progress but she does speak and understand more every week and this week she has really made the effort to help out in contacts! So I feel like we worked a lot harder this week just because we talked with a TON of people.  :) So I feel really, really good. I feel like with her I am becoming the missioanry that I always wanted to be and the one that I knew I could become. 

3.  How are D and her family doing? 

Right now they have been having lots of the same problems... they just don't have a very happy marriage and it's really sad. Hermano F just doesn't treat her very well because he's always working or thinking about work and doesn't really do anything for his family because he is never there. And she works, too, but still has to do everything in the house and so last night we went with them and they just fought the whole time. It made me really sad.

4.  How was church yesterday?  Did you have many investigators and less active members there?  Did you learn anything new?  

We had Familia R there. They are so cute and they truly appreciate our visits. And a new guy that we contacted on Saturday came to church...but he lives in the are of the Elders so that's lame.

5.  How is Familia R?   

They are doing alright. Hno J doesn't have a job anymore... his taxi broke and so he had to give it back to the owner and he doesn't want to pay for it...  And Hna M is finishing her work contract this month so it's going to be really hard on them if they can't find other jobs... But they are always listening to us and they love church and everything....

6.  What did you do for P-Day this week?   

Today we just stayed here and went shopping... not too exciting and then we went to eat lunch at Pizza Hut with part of the zone. Nothing really, lol. 

7.  What miracles and tender mercies have you seen this week?  Answers to your prayers?

Well, it was raining one day this week and I just hate the rain and I am so tired of it. And the sister training leaders came to do divisions with us. And, well, for my day we had nothing planned... we were just going to contact the whole day and it's really hard to contact in the rain because no one is outside.. but I prayed really dang hard that it would stop raining and it did. And it only rained while we were in the bus going back to our house and then it stopped again. And this morning I prayed that a bus would come fast and it came in like 2 seconds!

8.  How has someone else blessed your life this week?   

My companion is really good about sharing with me. She made me pancakes and always always buys me stuff when we stop at pulperias, lol.  I feel spoiled.  :) And an elder bought a hammock for me because he saw a guy selling them in the street and saw that one had pink in it and he knows I like pink, lol, but I had to pay him back. Should I buy another hammock though? Oor just one? Probably just one?

9.  Did you get any mail this week?

YES! I got mail from Jan Speroni, Grace Clark, Melissa, and I don't remember who else... I did get the Valentine's day package.  :)  Thanks, Mom.  :) I loved it! I almost cried when I used a normal, not moldy towel.... it felt really good.

10.  What other members have you spent time with this week?  Have other members been going out with you? 

Well, just Marquitos and Alexandra have left with us this week. Another one, Grorvin, who is an ex-missionary wanted to leave with us but the same day Marquitos and Alexandra were with us so that wouldn't have worked but now that everyone is at school it's a little harder to get people to leave with us.

11.  How are Hna M and her family doing?  

Well, M came to church and her kids so they are doing a little bit better... but her husband still hasn't come back yet... one day...

12.  How have you served someone this week? 

We helped an old lady cut her grass with macheties... we cleaned out the rain gutter on the side of the road.  Ummm.. I think that that was about it.  But it was really fun and stuff that we usually don't get to do!

13.  The Spanish elders want to know if you only know how to make homemade corn tortillas or if you’ve also learned to make homemade flour tortillas?

I know how to make them both... what kind of missionary would Ii be?! But here they use the premade flour tortilla flour so I will bring some of that home so we can make tortillas!

14.  Have you been able to talk to a lot of people this week?   

Yes!!!! We went on divisions, too, which helped, but we had already set the goal to talk to a bunch more people! And we did and we feel like we are working really hard.  :)

15.  What was the best thing happened this week? 

I got a package from Familia C -- Andrea and her kinds in La Victoria-- for Valentine's Day.  :) I almost started crying. They sent me a pretty pink bag that says Honduras and a bunch of notes and cute things.  :) I just love them sooo much!

16.  What was the funnest/funniest thing that happened this week?  

Well, Hna S is kind of crazy so she says some really funny stuff that is just crazy... but a specific moment... I don't know, lol.

17.  What do you love most about being a missionary?

I love being able to feel the love that God has for His children. I love seeing the happiness in people's faces and watching them put thier faith into action.

18.  Did you find any new people to teach last week? 

Yeah! We found lots of people... we will see if they progress.. but I think there were some good ones in there...

19.  What was the spiritual highlight of your week? 

I don't know.... I think just being guided to all these new people.

20.  Do you know that I love you and I miss you? 

Yes:)

21.  What was the most beautiful thing you saw this week? 

I'm going to say my new pink towel, haha!

22.  Did you have any unusual experiences this week?  
Well, we had divisions... I don't know if that is too unusual... it happens once every change. I went with Hermana Harmon... we came out into the mission together so it was kind of weird actually. But it was good because we were able to teach and find lots of new people which is really what we needed. And what I need, too, so that I don't get completely bored of this area. It's weird to think that I am now in my last change...

23. What has been your biggest challenge this week? 

I think just having faith in this area. I think I've just been here for a long time and the people that we have just aren't going to get baptized any time soon and it really tries my patience and my faith... so it's been hard to stay positive here but we did find a lot of new people so that helped a lot.

24.  What was your biggest personal success/triumph this week? 

Talking to a ton of new people.  :)

25.  What are your goals for this week? 

Keep talking to everyone and their pet rock, have shorter lessons, and to explore parts of our area where I have never been.


26.  Tell me about a time you felt really happy this week. 

We went to visit a family one day. We had met the son before in the house of his neighbor but we had never gone to his house. He had told us that his brother and sister were members and that a long time ago they used to go to church. So we saw them outside one day about 3 weeks ago, and we decided to talk to them. The first impression was that they were very, very sad and they just couldn't see blessings from God. Well, we have visited them every Sunday now and they are happier and happeir to see us and they study in the scriptures. Unfortunately they can't come to church right now because of school... but yesterday the mom was telling us that this particular day they were sitting outside really truly wondering if God even existed and they were thinking about that when all of the sudden we started talking to them and they were able to see that He does exist and He is mindful of their situation. I felt like we really are doing good things and helping people and that the Lord is guiding us to those who need us. 

Love you!

Hermana Gisseman

Our beautiful girl....


With Hna S, Hna H, and Hna H's companion, eating dinner on the floor




At Pizza Hut today







Playing the prelude music for church










From Andrea and her family -- they're so sweet!





No comments:

Post a Comment